SCC Democratic Club
What We Stand For
Ever since 1980 the Santa Clara County Democratic Club has championed many different specific pieces of legislation and/or ballot propositions, but the following represent some of our Club's core values as reflected in our positions on key issues of importance to Democrats. We favor and/or support:
1. Full public financing of political campaigns at all levels of our government (e.g. The California Fair Elections Act and the Fair Elections Now Act)
2. Transparency in the funding of independent campaign expenditures (e.g. the California DISCLOSE Act, and the Federal DISCLOSE Act)
3. Overturning of "Citizens United" and related court decisions which hold that "corporations are people" and "money is speech"
4. Protection of voting rights
5. Non-partisan redistricting at both state and federal levels of government
6. A woman's right to choose
7. Marriage equality for same sex couples
8. Equal rights for women and minorities
9. Separation of church and state
10. Universal/Single Payer Healthcare
11. Vastly expanded drug abuse prevention and treatment programs
12. Decriminalization and strict government regulation of the production, distribution, and sale of all recreational drugs (as is currently done with alcohol)
ECONOMIC AND TAX ISSUES
13. A progressive tax system that asks all citizens to pay their fair share
14. Fair trade, not so-called "Free trade"
15. Strong regulation of financial markets
16. Renewed enforcement of anti-trust laws to prevent the formation of companies that are monopolies or that are "too big to fail"
17. Minimum wage laws to ensure basic levels of financial security & stimulate economic activity
18. Fiscal responsibility and long term deficit reduction
19. Immediate and intense action to stop and reverse the effects of climate change
20. Achievement of a sustainable human population by voluntary means
OTHER CRITICAL ISSUES
21. Stopping the "revolving door" of lobbyists and elected officials
22. Collective bargaining rights of all employees, public, private, union, and nonunion.
23. True preservation and strengthening of Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security.
24. Common sense gun safety laws
25. Comprehensive immigration reform
26. Science based research, analysis, and decision making
27. Repeal of the death penalty at all levels of government
28. Reductions in defense spending consistent with national security
29. Effective international inspections and controls aimed at massive reductions in nuclear arsenals worldwide